RE: certification

Subject: RE: certification
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:17:04 -0400

>>There are. However, I'm also talking about as part of TWCert, a defined
>>subset of that knowledge should be included...only what applies to technical

But the subset of knowledge that applies to techwriting is probably best defined
and controlled by specific industry organisations. It is the specific industries
that benifit from a techwriter having basic/minimum knowledge in that
field/industry and it is the industry that knows or can best determine what that
minimum knowledge is. So what can a generalist techwriting body provide
certification in?

Perhaps the generalist organisation should not offer certification but be a
driving force to implement techwriter certification in the inductry groups. It
could serve as a top level integrator or repository of available industry
certification programs. Much like relationship of ANSI to the ASME, SAE, IFI,
and other organisations.

Eric L. Dunn

Order here:

Check out the contests at