Re: On PDF's

Subject: Re: On PDF's
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- highsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:53:08 -0500

Authors may have valid reasons applying security settings to PDF documents;
the blanket generalization NOT to apply them overlooks this possibility.

The fundamental issue is that of overriding the author's intended
protection. It's probably a good idea to ask the author for an unprotected
version.

PDFs have many possibilities, which vary, beginning in Acrobat 5, according
to the encryption applied (40-bit, for compatibility with Acrobat 4,
128-bit, for compatibility with Acrobat 5.)

The suggestion to print and scan is not possible if the document is also set
to prevent printing.

However, if printing is denied, it's still possible to capture the screen
and paste the captured image into a "to-do" list document, or process the
image further into editable text.

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices division of HighSoft, Inc. www.knowhowpro.com Adobe
Certified Expert: FrameMaker 7, FrameMaker+SGML Authoring, Acrobat 5,
InDesign 2 WebWorks Professional Certified trainer Voice: 660-691-0701
Toll-free outside S. F. Bay Area: 800-795-6066 FAX: 650-691-0995

On 4/25/03 4:56 AM, "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com> wrote:

> [...]

[snipped]

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com