XML single sourcing with Word?

Subject: XML single sourcing with Word?
From: <cpower -at- ztr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:40:34 -0400

Hi All,

Time to poke my head out from the murky lurky shadows.

I've got a single source process flow question regarding the use of xml - How best
to implement it?

Here's my situation. I produce:
- manuals in Frame 6
- marketing literature in InDesign 2
- graphics in Illustrator 10 and Corel Photo-Paint 8
- convert the above to PDF using Acrobat 4
- support sales and marketing whose primary tool is Office XP and rely heavily on
Word and PowerPoint

I already have the tools (FrameMaker with an upgrade to 7, and InDesign 2) that
support XML. However I run into a wall when trying to tie xml into a MS tool that
will allows sales staff to generate Word documents on the fly without them having
to learn XSLT or XSM.

I've looked at MS InfoPath, run through the tutorials, but discovered that users
need to have a copy of the program to generate a report. And I can's see (at least
right now) how it can be used to create a printable Word document that doesn't
look like an Outlook memo. (Maybe it's there if I use CSS formatting, but I can't
figure out if Word supports CSS or how to do it.)

Also, some whiz-bang $100,000 documentation control software is out of the
question.

Any feedback appreciated. Take care and thanks in advance,
Craig

Craig Power
Technical Service and Support
ZTR Control Systems