Re: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue

Subject: Re: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 12:54:51 -0500

Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor) wrote, in part:

... but which prompts me to make a point that I'm sure won't be lost on everyone on list, and that is the concept of the 'Fair Use Doctrine'. Off the top of my head, I recall that fair use (vs. plagiary/copyright violation) would include the use of (so-called) 'common, everyday information that any educated person can/could readily find' (e.g. info from common reference sources, such encyclopaedia) and thus need not be cited. At least that's what I was taught/understood. Does this correspond to anyone else's understanding?

Of course, that's a fine line (slippery slope) and I'd hate to have to argue the case of whether 'common knowledge' ... what IS clear is that you cannot simply 'change the words around' (paraphrase) and call it your own (idea).

Yabut....

Bonnie didn't indicate the copied text consisted of "common knowledge," and, in any case, it wasn't paraphrased, but word for word, or maybe with only a word two changed.

From what she described, it looks like plagiarism to me.

Jo Byrd

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com