Re: Numbering in Docs

Subject: Re: Numbering in Docs
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:18:42 -0700

My preference is to declare at the outset that our document are books, and
that books should be formatted according to the CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE.
This turns most questions into something you can look up rather than
something everyone can argue endlessly about. The ability to refer to a
standard text saves a great deal of time and annoyance, and is worthwhile
for this reason alone.

The setup you described is idiosyncratic. Chapter-based page number is, to
my taste, annoying, but it's standard enough that it will pass without
comment. The appendix system you describe is laughable and will be
considered amateurish by your readers.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com