RE: numbering in docs

Subject: RE: numbering in docs
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 17:25:14 -0400

Victoria:

Laughably amateurish as it is, I use the chapter and page
numbering system you describe. The only difference is that I
use Y for the glossary, and Z for the index, reasoning that
they must be the last two elements of back-matter.

I also use 0 as a chapter number for the front matter, but
this appears nowhere except in my file labels, and helps to
sort them into the correct sequence in Explorer. In the
front matter document itself, I leave the title page
unnumbered, and start numbering the remainder at 1, in
lower-case Roman numerals.

So I get this sort of thing.

0 Front matter (i, ii, iii, etc.)
1 Introduction (1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc.)
2 Listed applications
3 Front panel programming
4 Configuration utility programming
5 Peripheral installation
6 Commissioning and service
A System calculations
B Listing requirements by type
C Tables of addresses
Y Glossary
Z Index

If I go over single-digits, it goes:

00
01
02
03
etc
73
AA
AB
AC
etc
CY
CZ
DA
ZY
ZZ

Wheeee. I avoid the derision of my readers by carefully
isolating myself from them, using a support department,
marketing staff, and a compliance department.

It's Friday.

Bear

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com