numbering in docs

Subject: numbering in docs
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 13:18:20 -0500

Ok... let's see how much "you do it the wrong way and only I do it
right" comes from this question....

How do you handle chapter and page numbering in your documents?
Normally, thankfully, I've just done what was already in place with the
doc when it became my job to work on it. With several documents I'm
working on, I am wondering if there is a better way than is currently
being used in the document.

The background info:
Software/programming language documentation. Internal and external
distribution. Broken into multiple chapters. Each chapter has a
number, each chapter restarts the page numbering (chapter-pageno).
While I have no problem with that, it gets funky with the
appendix/glossary/index of the doc. Appendixes follow the A, B, C
format for chapter number, while the glossary is given "G" and the index
"I".

Is it normal to do that? I'm a lone tech writer here and the previous
tech writer was long gone before I started, so there isn't any handy
dandy departmental style guide to refer back to in trying to figure out
why the decision to number resulted in that.

-Victoria

Victoria J. Nuttle
Technical Writer, Creative Automation
vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com