RE: Including third-party Linux documentation

Subject: RE: Including third-party Linux documentation
From: DaLy <swiggles247 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Fiona,

I worked for a company that developed a linux
application (actually a GUI for an internet
appliance). If the end user is not going to use a GUI
(i.e. just enter commands at a command prompt -
Console mode) - Linux is Linux, whether the distro is
Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, Slackware, etc (the
command are the same).

The most common command line editors are: EMACS, Pico,
VIM and of course vi should the end User wish to write
shell scripts. Since you did not mention what your
application does, I am just giving you an overview.

If the end user will be using a GUI enviroment - Gnome
and KDE are the most common; then you may want to
"tweak" your writing towards the subtle differences
between the two.

We provided a Quick Reference txt file listing the
most common commands.

Questions for you:

What is your company's testing enviroment?
What are the system requirements for your software?
Will your guide be HTML? (Linux and chm do not mix)

HTH,

DaLy

PS: If you want to contact me off-list, I will be
happy to go into further detail.

Hi all,

I'm working on a new SysAdmin guide for users who will
be Linux experts.

Obviously I don't want to describe the Linux commands
and syntax in great depth in my guide, but am
wondering how to make sure all the bases are
covered. Specifically:

- Is it enough to say that users are expected to be
Linux savvy in the document intro and leave it at
that?

- Or do some companies also package a basic
"off-the-shelf" Linux manual with their own in-house
manuals, and then simply refer to the off-the-shelf
manual when appropriate?

I'm interested in hearing how others have dealt with
this issue.

Thanks very much
Fiona

http://search.yahoo.com

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com