Re: RoboHELP Questions

Subject: Re: RoboHELP Questions
From: Doc <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:00:21 -0400

On Mon, 12 May 2003 17:33:43 -0400 (EDT), traci w
<infotrad11 -at- yahoo -dot- ca> wrote:
<Snip>
>My student is a translator. She is going to be using
>it just to translate and edit text; not to create
>documents.
<Snip>
>1) She will be using a language localization tool
>called Multilizer. Does anyone know how she would
>integrate this into RoboHELP?

If I understand the situation correctly, you may have done a bit of
"overkill." Your student may not need RoboHELP skills unless they need
to troubleshoot.

Multilizer is a Machine Aided Translation tool. It lets you extract
and replace text strings from software and documents.

<Snip>

>2) Is there a way of simply typing over a heading (new
>topic) and having the changes be automatically made in
>the topic properties, etc. without having to
>"retranslate" it in the different areas (topic
>properties, index, table of contents, etc.)?

The link in the help file does not have to be translated, only the
text of the link. Since I have been working with HTML most recently
and it behaves similarly ...
Is a link to the first page of a web site. The only portion of it that
is translated is the word "Home" The link itself is constant and does
not care what word or words appear.
will make the same jump.

In other words, the title and content of the pages or topics should be
fully translatable without changing any of the navigation structure.

The only place where restructuring might be necessary is in those
areas where material is arranged alphabetically such as glossaries,
indexes and alpha lists.

Another issue will be the variant length of text in the different
languages. This will not be a problem if the help file has been
properly internationalized. It is a problem if the size of the
containing window or pop-up is specified. They should resize
dynamically.

I don't know the specific functions that Multilizer provides, but most
MAT tools use a database to store chunks of translation, so once the
text "Home" is translated to "Casa Mia" the term is translated
automatically, or on approval, at each point it appears.

I hope I have not misinterpreted and this info helps.

-Doc
The VerText Company
South Hamilton, MA
+1.978.609.1165