Re: English isn't the native tongue of ...

Subject: Re: English isn't the native tongue of ...
From: Doc <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:02:13 -0400

On Tue, 13 May 2003 09:40:53 -0400,
eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

<snip>
>Techwriting tie-in: The above is "Cockney" and "Redneck" curtesy of the
>dialectizer (http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/). Now while this website only
>does comedic accents (My favorites are Swedish Chef and Elemr Fudd), it makes
>you wonder if it wouldn't be possible to easily localise manuals for various
>dialects.
<snip>

Eric:
Forget the audience, I think we should choose OUR favorite dialect to
write in. Users are used to confusing manuals ... let's give them
something to blame it on.

I picked mine.

When in disgrace with software engineers,
I all alone beweep the redesign,
Of interface and face the deadline fears,
Foreknowing that the blame will be all mine.
To move each menu item every day,
To satisfy some ill thought change of spec,
And shuffle all the tabs as if to play
A game of cards, with just a partial deck.
Each tiny tweak betokens a cascade,
Of faults, like moths that relays have entrapped,
Until production schedules are delayed,
And with a crown of scorn my brow is capped.
I wait to hear the knock upon the door,
To tell me that they've changed the thing once more.

-Doc
The VerText Company
South Hamilton, MA
+1.978.609.1165

"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." - G.K. Chesterton

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com