RE: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?

Subject: RE: Basing Word styles on Normal or Body Text?
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:12:35 -0400

Gang:

One obvious "gotcha" with using Normal can be seen in Word
97 and 2000. I don't know about XP, because I haven't got
it.

If you define your Normal to have, say 6 points space above,
you'll have a difficult time reading the content of the Mark
Index Entry dialog box, because, for some reason, it uses
that definition when displaying the Main entry. That's the
kind of problem experts are trying to help you avoid.

Re base para styles, I recommend using three:

H0 - Heading para
B0 - Body text para (serif)
D0 - Display text para (sans serif)

These are the bases for the various styles shown below. By
changing these, plus the character styles RH and YN you can
completely transform the content of your docs.

H0 - Heading base
HT - Heading, title
HC - Heading, chapter
H1 - Heading, topic