Re: system administrators and documentation

Subject: Re: system administrators and documentation
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:50:24 -0700

Brian Das wrote:

> ...I don't think it's a sound business strategy to assume
> that an organization's response to useless information...

and:

> ...unusable documents leave the inexperienced system
> administrator in a world o' hurt (but dazzled and
> intrigued by the document's geekiness), and our
> consultants come to the rescue.

Wow. You're not too keen on this idea, are you? :)

Again, I urge you to look at it more positively.

I assume your management isn't telling you to make the admin docs intentionally useless or even more "geeky" than the material actually is.

It sounds like they (a) understand how difficult it might be to impart that knowledge and experience through the documentation, (b) know your Consulting group has the specialized knowledge and possibly years of experience needed to get the system set up properly, (c) want the opportunity to make money (!) by selling the services of the Consulting group, and (d) know the customer will end up happier with a properly configured system.

As I said before, everybody wins.

I wouldn't go into it with such a negative attitude.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com