On the road again in Seattle

Subject: On the road again in Seattle
From: "Sella Rush" <rushsm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:40:00 -0700

Just got laid off (along with 29 compadres) from the best job I ever had.
And no, it wasn't just the window office and working 3 blocks from Pike
Place Market.

A more positive layoff story...
We were told individually by our managers first thing in the morning--they
tried to catch us before we tried to log on to the network. Then HR came
around and discussed our termination packages. Then we had the day to pack
up our stuff, say goodbye, chow down on a company-paid lunch, and attend a
"so you're laid off" financial planning seminar. We had access to our
individual computers and the PC guy burned CDs of personal files for all of
us. Some people left first thing, others stayed til afternoon. Most of us
got at least 2 weeks severence.

Only two sour notes: (1) they laid off the entire tech writing department,
and (2) they did it 3 weeks before a major release, which meant I didn't get
to finish the job and didn't get to leave it in decent shape. (BTW--it was a
board edict to reduce head count short term no matter how much it cripples
long term.)

Seattle job perspective...
So that's 3 more tech writers hitting the job market. One bright note, a
friend in Bellevue tells me the building she works in, which had turned into
a ghost town over the past couple of years, is starting to fill up again.

Sella Rush
Seattle, WA
rushsm -at- attbi -dot- com

applications, including Net.