RE: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Drafts Back in Time
From: "Cindy Kight" <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- DataMaxGroup -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:39:30 -0500

Re: The Flirt vs. Bitch debate

And then there's another alternative. Goal-oriented, efficient, effective, etc., AND friendly, warm, etc., (without resorting to flirting, which I just don't do unless I mean it). There is often an impression that you have to be mean or manipulative to get things done. I just don't buy it. A person can be very effective and very nice about it.

Not to say that Amber can't flirt if she wants. I had a writer who was a natural flirt, very huggy, unconventional and fun. It's just who she is. Everyone loved her and she did a great job. And I have admiration for the strong, determined, not-afraid-to-be-a-bitch type as well.

I'm friendly in a very different way. If I were to flirt with a co-worker to try to get something, they'd know it was manipulation because that's not me. (And laugh me out of the building! :) Likewise, if I got hard and determined, they'd wonder what alien had taken over my body.

I don't often participate in discussions on this list because it seems we make things into false dichotomies (like the 'technical' vs. 'good writer' debate) and never resolve things. But then, writing about balance and the middle ground is pretty boring, eh?

Cindy Kight
Technical Communications Mgr.
TSW Solutions, Inc.

applications, including Net.