OK, For the Record...

Subject: OK, For the Record...
From: "Amber Young" <ayoung -at- pridemobility -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:53:22 -0400

I fear that I have created quite a stir with one tiny joke about women in
the workplace... let me set the record straight:
1. I am a happily married woman, age 28, with a toddler and hoping to make
baby #2 very soon. SO, my body is not exactly, um, marketable.
2. I am one of 3 women in a huge building full of men, so I get a lot of
attention anyway.
3. I really, really SUCK at baking! LOL

I'm just a very frustrated, new-to-the-field tech writer asking all you
seasoned writers how to get a little respect for my profession/documents,
since our department is fairly new to this company. My college was inept at
preparing me for my career of choice and I couldn't go to a tech writing
college because my husband wanted to stay in the area. I'm sorry if I've
offended anyone, but like I said before, when all else fails, what do you
do? It is very difficult for me to play the friendly chum at work because
I'm really a shy, insecure bookworm/nerd and by the end of the day, I'm just
plain exhausted of trying to make things just a little bit more bearable
amidst all the disorganization in this company that is growing way too fast
for its britches.

And I DO treat my female co-workers the same as my male co-workers.
Everyone else in my department is miserable and moody and I have heard more
than once that I have brought a breath of fresh air to the company. But I
assure you that I am not some blonde bimbo. I am extremely efficient and
accurate, hard-working, and have received a lot of honors and awards for
both academic and writing achievements.

That said, I will refrain from further comment for the day. Tomorrow is a
new day, and a Friday at that. You guys sure are tough on each other! I
was reading your threads for a while before I decided to talk and I must
say, my eyebrows raised quite a few times. I suppose that comes with our
type and is what makes us good technical writers. Adieu and thanks for your
opinions, whether I agreed with them or not! It's always good to get all
sides of a story :)

Amber Young
Technical Writer
Pride Mobility Products Corp.