Re: Chatty vs. Bitchy

Subject: Re: Chatty vs. Bitchy
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:36:43 -0400

Just to throw in my two cents, I have never had a problem with the ditzy or bitchy dichotomy. I am neither, and I have never been treated like either. I am friendly, and feminine in my manner and style of dress, but also a little Seven-of-Nine-ish in my manner of dealing SMEs sometimes ("You have information that I require. Comply with my request for data!").

If I ever get stereotyped, it's usually about my age. I'm 28, and it doesn't seem that young to me, but I get a lot of "oh aren't you cute and naive about the ways of the world"-themed comments, which is strange to me, but there it is. Still, I'm usually treated as competent, and never treated as threatening. I am occasionally treated like a dancing bear ("Oh, isn't that amazing, she has an English degree and is trying to understand the physics behind CT-scanning, awww..."), but more often I'm treated as surprising, for a short time, and then accepted for what I can do, rather than what I studied ("You mean you're not an engineer? Really?").

That's so far. So far, I've worked with largely under-50 people, who don't seem to have that "bitch/airhead" dichotomy emblazoned on their brains, like some older people do. I'd say it's dying out.

Kirsten Salmon Zerbinis
(so totally loving the freelance thing, today at least)

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 03:41 PM, eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

Is the stereotype/complaint really true? Is it really impossible for a woman to
be assertive in the workplace without being labeled bitchy? Seems to me the

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com