RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy

Subject: RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:12:47 -0500

Not everyone is one flavor, and their flavor(s) can change daily based
on many environmental factors.

With that said, there are some people who relish "playing a role" at
work. You have the nutty, wacky guy who has all the new jokes, the
self-proclaimed "bitch", the Keeper of All Snacks Great and Good (my
fave), and a ton of other roles straight out of central casting. If you
like playing one of these roles, double points to you, and good luck in
the bonus round!

But you do have to be cognizant of how you are perceived.

I was with a company for 10 years. I was called "young Dan" for the
first five years or so. It ceased when I hit 28 or 29. As I moved into
management, it took hard work on my part to break some stereotypes
people had about me. I was no longer "young Dan" of infinite exuberance
and jovial attitude. I was still the happy-go-lucky positive guy, but I
had to add a more ... mature flavor to it. It took a bit, but through
hard work, and most importantly, RESULTS, it was accomplished.

It's difficult to shed any label, be it chatty, bitchy, dumb jock ...
whatever. It's just easier for everyone to dump people into easy to sort
categories. It just is.

Just a caveat for all you emptors out there.

Be aware of how you are perceived, and take strides to adjust anything
you don't like. Unfortunately, in many instances, perception is reality.

-Dan Glovier

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com