Chatty vs. Bitchy

Subject: Chatty vs. Bitchy
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:41:32 -0400

Is the stereotype/complaint really true? Is it really impossible for a woman to
be assertive in the workplace without being labeled bitchy? Seems to me the
polar opposites of friendly/chatty/flirty and bitch are like so many of the
other vapid discussions on-list. There's a huge range of attitudes in between
and there's a balance that HAS to be reached to be effective in a business
scenario.

In the draft back in time thread, I think a number of posters have been right on
the money. Be polite, honest, matter-of-fact, and be assertive when necessary. I
honestly can't agree with the complaint that an assertive woman will be labeled
bitchy. Personally, I think you get labeled bitchy when you ARE bitchy. A
curmudgeon like attitude makes you neither effective, liked, nor respected.

I think some women think that to be successful they have to act like the
pain-in-the-butt PHB. What they don't realise is that all the workers think that
guy is a jerk. It's just that he has enough power to force respect (and keep the
name calling silenced). So instead of learning what it takes to be effectively
assertive and taking the time to earn respect (seeing as their position does not
bestow it upon them) they launch into a copy of the PHB.

If one of the male underlings took a similar attitude they too would be labeled
jerks/curmudgeons.

IMO,
Eric L. Dunn

applications, including Net.