RE: OK, For the Record...

Subject: RE: OK, For the Record...
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:57:59 -0700

Okey, dokey, I probably missed most of the thread(s), as I avoid the longest threads because they tend to be the same thing over and over, but I'll say a few words about this:
<<
I'm just a very frustrated, new-to-the-field tech writer asking all you
seasoned writers how to get a little respect for my profession/documents,
since our department is fairly new to this company.>>

and this:

<<It is very difficult for me to play the friendly chum at work because
I'm really a shy, insecure bookworm/nerd and by the end of the day, I'm just
plain exhausted of trying to make things just a little bit more bearable
amidst all the disorganization in this company that is growing way too fast
for its britches.>>

I used to see myself as the "shy insecure bookworm/nerd" too. And yet, I find that I can make friends within any group in my company: developers, QA, marketing, etc. One way I do this is to try to apply one thing I did learn in college, that communication is most effective when it is both formal and informal. So, I tend to couple them, for instance, when I send out a review memo through email, I go and ask key players, "Did you get that?" or some other question about the memo or review. It was hard for me to break through my isolationist tendencies, but I did it because I am highly motivated towards quality communication.

When I do my follow-up communication, I keep a friendly face. Shyness doesn't bar me from making friends. People are more interested in talking about themselves anyway, and having a business reason to talk to them gets me in. Maybe the first time, I won't venture anything personal. But as time goes on, it is a very effective technique to notice something about them or their cubicle. I might comment on their clothes if I like them. Or their pictures of their family. Or their Micky Mouse figurines or poster of a popular TV show.

I found that for me, focusing on the other person helps me break through my initial shyness. I typically don't like to be very personal at work anyway, although it's become known around here in the last few years that I listen to Rock and Roll, have a snake for a pet, and like Science Fiction movies. I'm more known for my pleasant face and kind demeanor, so that when I do get mildly upset (like about process being followed or "stupid formatting things random bosses and develops ask for in a well meaning way"), people really notice. I think people get more worried when I get upset, even though I don't raise my voice, than they would if a more volatile person was getting upset.

When people get used to seeing you around, they think of you and your department more. Even if they don't think of you as soon as you would like, they think of you when you walk by and say "Hi". This all can take a long time. The key is persistence and forgiveness, both for yourself (when you find the shyness just too great that day and skip the step of human contact) and for others, when they seem to take FOREVER to respond.

For me, respect has come from a combination of kindness, flexibility, persistence, caring about quality, and smarts. I have been here three years, and the first year was very rough. Notice the order I put the qualities in: that is the order I think they are valued.

I have learned that many of my colleagues, whether shy or outgoing, have insecure moments themselves, and they appreciate my support. By supporting them, I get out of myself and my own fear for a moment.

I have learned that my management needs me to be solution oriented. The more I can respond to management's and the business's needs the more value I will have in their eyes.

I have learned that everything changes. The person who is not responding to me, or who is actively opposing me, today, may be my best ally tomorrow. The department which seemed cold and unresponsive may change and become fun and open to me. I have learned to hang in there and keep trying.

I have learned that although I am flexible in solving problems, the bottom line is that I do care about the end quality I produce. This is for my sake as well as the company's because when I let go of that, my self esteem slips and I cannot function properly.

I have learned that my intelligence applied in the light of the other values is still important, even though it is not, as I once thought, the most important quality I bring to the table.

<grin>

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com
Education is the best provision for old age. -Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC),

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com