RE: 11x17 FrameMaker pages cropped to 8.5x11 in PDF (and Summary of Visio to PDF Printing problem so far)

Subject: RE: 11x17 FrameMaker pages cropped to 8.5x11 in PDF (and Summary of Visio to PDF Printing problem so far)
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:27:19 -0700

Karen, I commiserate. I am still having a similar problem. Mine occurs with Visio documents which come up with "Tabloid" in the Page Setup portion rather than "Legal" regardless of what I set my default page size to. Then when my users print them, they are "shrunk" to 8 1/2 by 11 by the printer!

None of the suggestions I got from this list helped, but I will summarize them nonetheless, in case they help you. I concur that it is probably a print driver problem.

- Set up a virtual printer on you local machine LPT1 and check "Print to file" when installing it. From your app, print to file (making sure to select the paper size you want). Distill the prn file from distiller, rather than your application file. If you wish, set the distiller default page size as well. (from Rick Bishop) (print to file was also mentioned by Andrew Simpson)

I tried this but the prn file also distilled as a Tabloid even though I had both default sizes set to legal.

- Define it away. (That was about making it a regular paper size in the original.) (from Robert Plamondon)

That wouldn't work in my case as having it all on one page was a client requirement, and it definitely couldn't be edited down. I had all I could do to make it fit on the legal size!

- At the printer menu in Windows, tell windows there is a legal-sized tray installed in the printer whether there is or not, and the applications should obediently generate legal sized pages when asked. (from Robert Plamondon)

The printer DOES have a legal-sized tray and Windows does know about it... still likes to make this one file a Tabloid though....

- At the PPD file level use the Adobe Generic PostScript driver and the correct PPD file for your printer, except that you should edit it to hard-wire the existence of the Legal tray. (from Robert Plamondon)

Actually I haven't really tried this one yet, as I got pulled away from problem-solving by some deadlines. I have to find out which is the correct PPD file for my printer before I try this one.

- When all else fails, crop offending pages individually in Acrobat.(from Robert Plamondon)

Of course if I did that content would disappear, so that wouldn't help.

- The Distiller printer should be your own local printer not a network resource. It needs to be associated with the latest and greatest AdobePS driver, downloaded from adobe.com compatible with your OS. The Distiller printer should be associated with the FILE: port. Set the Job Option settings as you wish. Select Distiller as your default printer. Make sure the application settings for page setup are correct. Make sure the Distiller properties are correct. Either distill from the application or make a .prn file and distill from Distiller. Also check your registry (if there are problems with the above) to ensure that Office Taskbar is not listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACCHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVVersion\Run. (from Dick Margulis)

Also didn't work.

PLANS NOT YET TRIED

I tried all of the above (except editing the PPD file, which I need to do more research on) and it didn't make a difference.

Plan A
I am going to send some of above info to my tech support peops. Then, I will research the PPD idea some more.

Plan B
I am also thinking of trying to distill this on my laptop and/or home computers to see if the problem reoccurs when I try it off the network. If it distills correctly, it will prove to my tech support people that it is a print driver problem. Possibly I can get the correct file from the other computer at least. If it doesn't work, I will be back to square one, researching how and why this can happen.

Plan C
If neither Plan A or B works, I will start ranging more wildly about the Web looking for Distiller gurus, saints, and hermits who might have the answer or at least the defining piece of the puzzle.

Naturally, if and when I find the answer I will be sure to post it!

Thanks everyone for suggestions so far and still looking for answers....

Hope this helps Karen though!

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful
men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is
almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of
educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are
omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will
solve the problems of the human race.
--Calvin Coolidge

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com