House-husbands (was RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy)

Subject: House-husbands (was RE: Chatty vs. Bitchy)
From: Kevin Cheek <cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:52:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Kat Nagel (lists only)" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com> wrote:
> <House-husbands, choices, etc.>

Well, I got to spend a bit of time as a house-husband last year--not
by choice. The economy in the Bay Area is significantly less than
stellar, and I was given the opportunity to spend an extended
vacation paid by unemployment benefits.

One thing I have to say: It really helped to have a full-time at-home
person to take the kids to writing camp, swimming practice,
gymnastics lessons, soccer practice, etc. I profoundly enjoyed the
time I was able to spend with my family. My relationship with my
children greatly benefitted as a result.

We cannot afford to make this a permanent life-style choice (my wife
is a teacher), and I do significantly enjoy working as a fully
employed tech writer. Given the financial ability, though, I think
I'd choose to have my wife and I take turns being home full-time for
three to six month intervals.

One specific benefit of my wife being home instead of me: She is a
far better cook than I.

Regards,

Kevin Cheek
cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net