Re: Too many reviewers: WAS Drafts Back in Time

Subject: Re: Too many reviewers: WAS Drafts Back in Time
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:23:56 -0400

joanne grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com> wrote:

>I'm going through that with a client right now.

[snip gruesome details]

>Does anyone have tips (outside of cookies or bull whips) to simplify
>the process?

It may be too late in your current engagement, but one approach that might serve in the future is the you-hired-me-to-be-in-charge-of-the-docs tack. Take ownership. Take responsibility for the decisions on what goes in and what stays out. Take responsibility for the doc quality. If they have objections after the doc goes out the door, knock 5% off the price and address the deficiencies in the next release. Better yet, give them the 5% as a credit toward the next contract instead of cash now.

Admittedly this is challenging if payment depends on your client's sign-off, but at least it's a negotiating position.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com