RE: Too many reviewers: WAS Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Too many reviewers: WAS Drafts Back in Time
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:13:39 -0600

Robert Plamondon wrote:
> but I've had clients where everyone and his dog had to
> sign on the line before anything could happen. ...

In another life, I had to get reviews from people in three cities (across
two countries) for the material prepared by my department.

We posted the drafts as PDFs in a shared directory and sent out an email to
all reviewers including the file name, location, review deadline, and any
specific instructions/information they needed to know before diving in.
Reviewers could open the document, use the "sticky note" tool to make their
comments and add their signatures to the document. Since everyone was
working on the same document, they also got to see previous reviewers'
comments. Very rarely did two reviewers attempt to open the document at the
same time, so we didn't have much trouble with document sharing, etc.
During the review period, I would periodically take a look at the document
myself to see if people were actually looking at it, and send reminders as
necessary (including a reminder that they can't all wait to the last minute,
or they -will- have access issues). At the end of the review period, I
pulled the document from the shared location, incorporated the changes, and
moved into whatever the next phase of the document cycle was appropriate.

I've used a similar method, posting a Word doc, with revision tracking
turned on, in other companies.

Good luck,

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com