RE: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Drafts Back in Time
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:02:29 -0600

I work with the product (whatever it is) until I get to the point where I
have specific questions to ask the SME. I work directly with the SME on
these questions (usually passing by his/her desk and asking if they have a
minute to clarify something). When I have the chapter/document/whatever
chunk we've agreed on ready, I give it to the SME to review to verify the
accuracy of my interpretation of what I've experienced/discussed with them.

Most of the "big deal" signoff issues I've run into have been instituted
from above, and consist of the requirement to have Development, Sales,
Support, and QA all agree that the document the SME and I have created is
acceptable to those groups. (This can get really ugly if there are
territorial issues between these departments.) I've usually tried to
generate enough of a relationship with the key people in those departments
that I can address their concerns/head off troubles during the document
writing process (treating them like secondary SMEs). It makes life easier.