RE: Drafts Back in Time

Subject: RE: Drafts Back in Time
From: Gordon Mclean <gordon -dot- mclean -at- mclarenkvisia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:22:34 +0100

The implication here (reading between the lines) is that we all have the
technical knowledge to write content on our own. Yes we SHOULD have a degree
of knowledge but I was always told that a Technical Author/Communicator does
not need to be a walking encyclopaedia. Our review cycle is used to ensure
the technical content of our documentation is correct. We rely on the
technical ability of developers, technical support staff, testers and SMEs
(Product Champions in our lingo).

As with most things that gets discussed on this list, it is horses for
courses. We need to provide technical information about technologies we
understand, and about products we can use, but the as we deal with
customization we need to try and give as much reference info as possible,
and that info should be as technically accurate as possible (to the point we
worry more about technical accuracy than design issues).

We don't get uptight about it, but we DO require reviews to take place. Not
for our benefit, our to make us look good, no we are actually concerned that
our customers get the information they need and that that information is
accurate.

Horses for courses.

(Heads off to search the origin of that saying)

Gordon McLean
Technical Communications Manager
McLaren Ltd.