RE: Bubble Your Pleasure, Bubble Your Fun

Subject: RE: Bubble Your Pleasure, Bubble Your Fun
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:37:38 -0700 (PDT)

I think demand for IT tech writers and consumer-product tech writers
overlaps to some extent. Many writers from each group are likely to
apply for each other's jobs, especially in a pinch.

So a sudden increase in demand for IT tech writers is likely to soak up
some writers from the consumer-product pool (and vice versa). So the
other side will (theoretically) have less competition for jobs.

I get your point about large sellers demanding good documentation for
the products they sell, though I can't say I've seen this in action.

Mike O.

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
> "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> >

> >The problem with the economy isn't that people are failing to buy
> from
> >Wal*Mart. Stores are packed and people are buying retail just fine,
> >with or without documentation. The problem (for tech writers) is
> >corporate IT investment, not retail. Wal*Mart (and all big corps)
> >aren't buying technology. They are still digesting and coasting on
> the
> >technology they overpaid for in the '90s.
> >

> Mike,
>
> I was addressing only Mark Baker's point about the diminishing
> necessity for hiring tech writers to document consumer products. I
> agree with you on the IT front.
>
> Dick

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.