Re: For you Linux fans

Subject: Re: For you Linux fans
From: Peter Harkins <ph-tw -at- malaprop -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:31:48 -0600

At 7/1/2003 10:47:00 AM, John Posada wrote:
>Techwriter tie-in...I find Linux gaining strength from various
>directions...if you do documentation that is *NIX-oriented or can be ported
>to *NIX, it may pay for you to brush up on your Linux, because it's only
>time before your boss comes to you, saying "The next beta of our application
>runs on Linux...you know how to document Linux applications....don't you?"
>Wouldn't it be nice to immediately say "Sure! What flavor?"

For those looking to get into Linux, probably the best resource you can have is a local Linux Users Group. LUGs have a mailing list for discussion of Linux issues (from the neatest new software, to "Help, my sound card doesn't work!") and regular meetings. Most have Installfests, where experienced Linux users will help people who bring their computers install Linux. Here's two URLs for finding LUGs:

http://www.linux.org/groups/
http://www.linuxusersgroups.org/search.html

Another great resource for learning one's way around in Linux is the Linux Cookbook, a book that's available online at http://dsl.org/cookbook for free.

And, of course, I've noticed there's plenty of us Linux users hanging out on this mailing list. :)

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com