Re: Interesting article

Subject: Re: Interesting article
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:38:14 -0700

"Sean Brierley" <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:208737 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> Why not stop, for a sec., and consider your (pl. to
> the list) own use of online help. Do you? If you do,
> what do you think of the help for your main weapons?
> Here's mine:

<snip>

> 5) Yahoo Mail: online documentation and support
> stinks, is uninformative, and slow.

A year or two ago I applied to work at Yahoo. I was told that Yahoo employs
no--zero--technical writers. I was told that they have their
engineers/programmers write the Help content, or hire the occasional outside
contractor.

It shows.

At the 2002 Online Help Conference, the last presentation was a panel that
had deconstructed Yahoo's Help and designed improvements. Talk about
tackling low-hanging fruit....

Chuck Martin