Where to get ppd for distiller installation

Subject: Where to get ppd for distiller installation
From: "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:43:48 -0400

I'm currently developing an "idiot proof" guide that details how to install
distiller from scratch for use as a postscript printer. I'd like to cover
existing (e.g. Framemaker w/ pre-version 5.xx Acrobat) as well as new
installations, where a later version of distiller is installed to replace an
earlier version. I've searched the archives here and on Frameusers, as well
as high and low on Google and have come up a bit shy of what I need. I've
also searched Adobe's site, their forums, and Acrobat's online help.

Some basic questions:

Installing a ppd (which ppd, and where do I get it -- our enterprise users'
computers are distributed by a vendor admin, with either Win 2000 or XP
already installed. I'd like our users to be able to install the correct
ppd, but they don't have access to the installation software for the
operating systems. Is there somewhere else they can download the correct
ppd? Can I [legally?] pull one out of my own operating system and make it
available to users? Is there one on Microsoft's site?).

You'd normally think the easy way to resolve this would be to ask our vendor
admin to make the ppd(s) available somewhere, but that's not the case. They
won't do it, for fear of users destroying their current installations. But
my take on this is as a technical writer, one should know how to perform
this task, do it, and do so correctly. And of course, before I implement
this, I'm going to get management's approval. They're already interested,
because a number of our writers are using "save as pdf" in Frame 5.5.6 to
generate pdfs and are having problems with a slew of things (bookmarks,
fonts, etc.).

Thanks for any help you guys can provide,

Jan Cohen