Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: Dawson McKnight <dawsonmcknight123 -at- yahoo -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:31:48 -0400

Some software apps use a better resizing algorithm than
others do. Word's is one of the best.

Take the screenshots and paste them into Word. Resize them
until they are the appropriate size for your Quark doc, then
take a new screenshot and crop the window border in any
graphics program.

Viola! Legible, resized screenshots.
HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

> From: Dawson McKnight <dawsonmcknight123 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> My team has written a document that an outside design
> firm is laying out for us and sending out for offset
> printing. The problem is this: Now that the firm has
> laid out the document, the screenshots are almost
> illegible. On screen and in print, the screenshots are
> pixilated and "fuzzy"-looking to the point of being
> worthless. The document hasn't gone to the printer
> yet, so there is still a little time to fix the
> problem.
>
> The design firm requested that we send all of our
> screenshots to them as TIFs (CMYK, 24-bit, and
> "uncompressed"). The resolution of the screenshots is
> 92 DPI. The firm had to reduce the size of the
> screenshots to about 60% of their original size to fit
> them into the document. They are laying out the
> document in Quark.
>
> So the question is this: How do you produce
> screenshots that are "print-ready?" How can I ensure
> that the screenshots I am delivering to the design
> firm have the adequate resolution to look good in
> offset printing? I have seen many examples of
> offset-printed manuals with crystal-clear graphics (no
> matter how small).
<snip>