RE: Fostering Teamwork and Communication

Subject: RE: Fostering Teamwork and Communication
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 21 Aug 2003 20:39:33 GMT

My intial reaction to this: you're doomed. It's one thing
for groups to be disconnected and "silo'ed," but when whole
depts are hostile toward one another, that's almost always
the result of dept managers that are hostile toward one
another, and no amount of "communication facilitation" is
going to overcome that. Unless you're in a position where
the groups have recently come under new management and the
dept heads have sat down together, agreed that something
needs to be done and then handed you the corporate
equivalent of a papal commission (i.e., all their subjects
shall support your efforts or face excommunication) I think
the best you're going to be able to do is to get individual
group members together and build bridges one-to-one, so
that they get things done through unofficial channels based
on their personal relationships.

Gene Kim-Eng