RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century

Subject: RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:52:39 -0600

I've always wondered how people talked their employers into forking out
thousands to send them to seminars about tools they're already supposed to
know how to use.

I can see being able to pitch an STC conference, or some other
multi-faceted gathering, where the employee could conceivably learn about
new solutions to bring back to the company. Or I can see subsidizing
attendance at seminars that deal with the actual TECHNOLOGY you're
documenting. But to spend that much just so you can hang out with people
who use the same word processing software? Hats off to you if you can pull
it off. I'm not saying the conferences are worthless, just amazed that
some can get their bosses to pay for them to attend.

Like another poster, I gotta pay my own STC dues. Out-of-town conference?
Not bloody likely! Heck, our break room has been out of creamer for the
last two days - I just emailed myself a note at home to bring some
tomorrow. These are hard times... :(

Keith Cronin
looking for a semicolon users' conference, preferably in Maui