RE: technical writer degree programs

Subject: RE: technical writer degree programs
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:46:16 -0500

Beth Westbrook wrote:

>I think the programs need to be more flexible than that. Different
students
>have different needs.

>My B.A. was from a program that required an internship. At that time,
I had
>no experience, but now that I have more than five years of fulltime
>professional experience and am currently employed fulltime, I am glad
that
>the M.A. program I am currently finishing up this semester offers a
thesis
>track as an option to the internship. At this point in my career, an
>internship would be useless and would require a moonlighter's
lifestyle. No
>thanks.

I am not sure what other schools are like, but for particular degree,
previous experience was considered and providing the experience met the
internship requirements, then the student would not have to enroll for
internship credits. This was the case for the BS and the Master's.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...