Re: Job Market

Subject: Re: Job Market
From: gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 23:57:52 -0600

"Oja, W. Kelly" wrote

> Again, I find it intriguing that companies will hire people from outside
> of the respective country, but not consider someone who lives across the
> state line.

They don't. H_1b hiring has gone down significantly in the last few years.
When a company does hire an H_1b , they do so because they need a special
skill set and such skills are not readily available in the local market.

Tech writers are in ample supply right now thanks to the dot.com bust.
Hence, it makes no sense to relocate a person (and pay the costs for
relocation) when there are ample people locally who can fill the job.

I realize its fun and very popular to blame employment woes on foreigners,
but honestly, they are not the problem. Tech writers are going to have to
come to the realization that this is a profession that is being rapidly
commoditized. The skills that got you a high-paying job in 1999 won't get
you the same pay or respect today.

Andrew Plato