RE: Yahoo Groups Spam?

Subject: RE: Yahoo Groups Spam?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:25:51 -0800

Clearly, in 2003, nearly any unsolicited email qualifies as spam. As
with most spam, (and I'll send you the email if you want it) there'no
easy way to verify the 'non-commercialness' of this invitation. This
could have been spam parading as a Yahoo invitation or an attempt to
harvest valid email addresses, both common tactics of spammers. In fact,
the majority of spam is directed at selling products, but merely
verifying that you have an active email address. Furthermore, much of
the spam I receive is unique (I don't receive multiple copies), so a
single email does not eliminate the spam possibility.

Sadly, email communications has come to this. DB.

> Keri,
>
> Why do you consider such an invitation as "spam"? There are
> many tech writers who *do* write computer books--whether they
> are published by commercial book publishers or manuals
> accompanying software applications.
>
> Persistant invitations to join a particular mail list would
> indeed qualify as "spam" IMHO, but a single one to announce
> such a group to those that are interested seems hardly to
> rise to that level.
>
> There is plenty of "commercial, unsolicited email" that fits
> the definition of "spam"--but how does a free email list fit
> within that definition?
>
> Methinks you have simply overreacted.
>
> David

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com