Re: Web site personalization

Subject: Re: Web site personalization
From: sheherazada -at- abv -dot- bg
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:21:00 -0700

> Thanks to Scott Abel for the link to David Walker's excellent commentary on
> Web site personalization and the Jupiter Research report thereon. You can
> read David's article at http://tinyurl.com/wd1v and the original Jupiter
> Research press release at http://tinyurl.com/wd1z.
>
> More proof (as if you needed it) that content is king. The user does not
> want to be greeted by name; the user wants information, dammit!
>
> My favorite quote: "Many web ventures that Jupiter contacted are unhappy
> with second or third attempts at creating a personalization delivery chain
> and are actively pursuing a third or fourth attempt at enormous costs".
> Guess the PHBs are still throwing good money after bad.
>
> Dan Goldstein

I doubt that anyone will argue with the fact that "content is the king,?
but just to mention that the theory states:

"... IF you can present custom-tailored content to each visitor, you'll
build a special relationship that will lead them to spend more with you."

Don't you think that the "if" part is essential here?
The fact that it works for Amazon and companies like it shows that not the
theory is wrong but the applications are not well targeted.

Most of the online stores are not designed for working with repeat
customers, which makes personalization worthless. They expect to attract
customers with something like low prices or extensive advertisement. This
certainly brings customers, but it doesn't make those customers to
remember this particular place...

So, the facts are here, but what they are communicating is a different
story.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com