Re: Computer repair/upgrade (was RE: A data point on offshoring

Subject: Re: Computer repair/upgrade (was RE: A data point on offshoring
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:08:58 -0600

Mike O wrote:
> Better yet, assemble the PC yourself and never pay support or
> repair bills again.

I do this. Both PCs in our house are ones I've built, upgraded, and
maintained. When things go wrong, it's kinda fun 90% of the time--and a
colossal pain the other 10%. That's if you're a geek. Problem is, if
you're not into that kind of thing, and you're not all that
hardware-savvy, the percentages would probably be reversed.

Last month I had to install a new heat sink and fan on my CPU. I found
it pretty entertaining (the research! the troubleshooting! the thrill of
wondering if I'd wreck my motherboard if the screwdriver slipped!) but I
know a lot of folks who would rather wash their cats than attempt that
task.

I think DIY is a great experience, but YMMV.

Christine

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com