Re: Subject: mathematical formulae-punctuation

Subject: Re: Subject: mathematical formulae-punctuation
From: "Michael Schiesl" <michael -at- michaelwriting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:32:11 -0600

>Usually, I assume that sentences containing mathematical formulae use
>normal punctuation but the format of the present book I am working on
>has all formulae inserted as images with a paragraph break before and
>after each one.
>
>Here is an example in .gif format:
>http://www.editfast.com/assets/graphics/mathpunctuation.gif

Looks good/understandable to me, and I think that most people reading this
type of material would be comfortable with the way you have it here.

This is pretty typical for most technical handbooks (mathematics,
engineering, etc.).
For example, try paging through this
one...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/3540655697/qid=106977858
4/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/104-9251127-1207948?v=glance&n=507846.

If you are looking for rules or standards for writing this type of
information, you
may want to find a good academic, scientific-based tech writing textbook
(i.e.
like the kinds that engineering students use in their required tech writing
class).
You could also try a search on 'scientific writing'.

It might be impossible to express this information in any better fashion
than what
you already have here. The logical sequence (assume A->then B->therefore C)
seems to communicate just fine (no ambiguity, etc.). My humble feeling is
that
you would have more risk 'botching' the information if you try to 'fix' it.

Mike Schiesl
Michael Writing & Illustration
michael -at- michaelwriting -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com