Re: Subject: mathematical formulae-punctuation

Subject: Re: Subject: mathematical formulae-punctuation
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:58:03 -0500

Someone wrote (sorry, didn't save the original message):

Usually, I assume that sentences containing mathematical formulae use
normal punctuation but the format of the present book I am working on
has all formulae inserted as images with a paragraph break before and
after each one.

Michael Schiesl replied
If you are looking for rules or standards for writing this type of information, you
may want to find a good academic, scientific-based tech writing textbook (i.e.
like the kinds that engineering students use in their required tech writing class).

When I'm editing scientific documents, especially when the docs
contain mathematical equations, I grab:
_Scientific Style and Format: The CBE Manual for Authors, Editors and Publishers_
ISBN: 0521471540, Cambridge University Press.
In the 6th edition (1994, it may have been updated by now) the section on typesetting conventions for mathematical symbols and expressions in text is on pages 206-216. It is very clear.

I've used various editions of this specialized style guide for everything I've written or edited in biology, chemistry, physics and medicine for the last 20 years, and---if you're going to be working with more math-related stuff---strongly recommend picking up a used copy now and snapping up the next revision as soon as it appears.
--
K@ Kat Nagel

.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com