Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist? (Take II)

Subject: Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist? (Take II)
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:18:45 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:
> Mike O. wrote:

>>Or you can even set up an smtp server locally
>
>I'm contemplating that for sending out a newsletter I hope to launch
>later this year. But a good spam filter will note when the "from"
>header doesn't match that of the SMTP server.

This is actually pretty common, and I've never noticed a problem
with it. My messages have been like that for years. Lots of
domains don't match the servers they're hosted from; many
servers host dozens or hundreds of domains. That's why it's so
hard to address the problem of spoofing email addresses.

Another possibility no one suggested is to get a shell account with
someone like panix.com: http://www.panix.com/shell.html
You can get your POP mail, newsgroups, etc.; you don't actually
have to use the shell much (if at all), but you can use the same
one you have on your Mac. Many people who aren't (or weren't)
in panix's dialup area got shell accounts so they could have a
permanent address. Now that domains are so cheap, it's not as
much of an issue, but it can be nice to have a competent
administrator instead of trying to beat smtp into submission
on your own. They also have fairly inexpensive domain hosting
if you don't need a lot of features.

I don't have an account with them. I just know a lot of people
who do. I'd recommend against running smtp unless you had
an external reason to use it.

Rachael Lininger