RE: GoLive vs. Dreamweaver

Subject: RE: GoLive vs. Dreamweaver
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:15:32 -0800 (PST)

-----------------------------------
Rachael Lininger wrote:
I am likely to need some web design package -- if for no better reason
than that it's easier for me to spend hundreds on specialized software
than to get a $ -at- #%^! freeware text editor approved. I could probably get
either Dreamweaver or GoLive. Having never used either, I have no
personal investment in a tool -- "good enough" is all I need. I'd kind
of rather get GoLive, but not if it's still as unstable as the archives
indicated in Jan 2003.

As someone else mentioned, if "good enough" is all you're looking for, and if you don't want to/have time to learn HTML, then FrontPage <cringe /> might be the best way to go, even if it does do weird things to your code. Okay, now I have to wash myself. ick

From what I gathered when my department was shopping around for an html editor, all of these applications pretty much have the same features. The choice becomes one of personal preference, working style, price, and any anti-Microsoft leanings you might be harboring. :-)

To be fair, Dreamweaver has its own bugs. One in particular is that it crashes every time I try to do a site-wide Replace All. Very disappointed about that. :-( I would also say that there is a steeper learning curve for Dreamweaver that seems to be higher than something like GoLive (just going by reviews that I've read about GoLive), and using DWs file management system takes a _little_ getting used to and has some quirks. Other than that, though, DW ROCKS!!!!! hehehe I especially like the feature that let's you email whoever has a file checked out. That's pretty handy.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com