help with terminology, pleeze

Subject: help with terminology, pleeze
From: "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:26:07 -0500

I'm trying to standardize language usage amongst my writing team, and there
are a few naming conventions i'm having trouble nailing down. They are:

- When describing a tree structure, we don't want to use nodes and leaves to
describe elements in our user guides, which are targetted towards average
joes, not programmers. Are there standard colloquial replacements? ie. items
and sub-items, or elements and sub-elements?

- Split windows are divided into panes. Fine. But in a single window, would
you still call the white rectangular area used to display information a
pane? Or is there another term that's better: ie. 'display area'?

- 'Amphenol'... is it supposed to have an initial cap all the time, or is
'amphenol' ok?

thanks

Lynne Wright
Technical Communications