help with terminology, pleeze

Subject: help with terminology, pleeze
From: "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:26:07 -0500

I'm trying to standardize language usage amongst my writing team, and there
are a few naming conventions i'm having trouble nailing down. They are:

- When describing a tree structure, we don't want to use nodes and leaves to
describe elements in our user guides, which are targetted towards average
joes, not programmers. Are there standard colloquial replacements? ie. items
and sub-items, or elements and sub-elements?

- Split windows are divided into panes. Fine. But in a single window, would
you still call the white rectangular area used to display information a
pane? Or is there another term that's better: ie. 'display area'?

- 'Amphenol'... is it supposed to have an initial cap all the time, or is
'amphenol' ok?


Lynne Wright
Technical Communications
Positron Inc.
5101 Buchan St. H4P 2R9
(514) 345-2200
fax: 345-2272


Previous by Author: RE: PowerPoint Presentations for Doc/writer Impact?
Next by Author: Britsih vs. American English
Previous by Thread: Re: Printing paragraph style information from FrameMaker
Next by Thread: RE: help with terminology, pleeze

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads