Re: help with terminology, pleeze

Subject: Re: help with terminology, pleeze
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:35:58 -0500

Wright, Lynne wrote:
> - When describing a tree structure, we don't want to use nodes and leaves
> describe elements in our user guides, which are targetted towards average
> joes, not programmers. Are there standard colloquial replacements? ie.
> and sub-items, or elements and sub-elements?

Why do you need a generic term? (node, leaf, parent, child, etc). Presumably
each node in your app represents some real-world business object that is
meaningful to your users. Why not call each node by the business object it
is representing? For example, in a file manager (like Windows Explorer),
each node is called a "folder" because that's what it is representing. In my
news reader where I am reading this thread, each node is a "message."

> - Split windows are divided into panes. Fine. But in a single window,
> you still call the white rectangular area used to display information a
> pane? Or is there another term that's better: ie. 'display area'?

Unlabeled screen elements are very difficult to represent in documentation.
If you can convince your team to label this thing your life will become a
little easier. Otherwise you can call it

Is it a web application? Web apps have pages and forms. Panes are not
technically part of web apps, so 'pane' can mean whatever you say it means.

Is it a Windows app? Windows apps are made of windows and dialogs. Same
issue - 'pane' can mean whatever you want it to mean.

Mike O.

Previous by Author: Re: Quality
Next by Author: Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started
Previous by Thread: Re: help with terminology, pleeze
Next by Thread: Re: help with terminology, pleeze

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads