Re: Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started

Subject: Re: Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:48:32 -0800

Why does a separate account have to be opened for each product? Isn't the
"account" with the company? The company that sells one product or the
company that sells one thousand.

But the issue wasn't (apparently) one of companies vs. accounts, but that an
intermediary's name was on the credit card statement, not the company that
sold the product.

When I go to Macy's to shop (OK, Target), when I get my credit card
statement (actually, it's more often my debit card statement), the name on
the line item is the store name, not the company that did the credit card
processing.

In this case, Digibuy is an intermediary, providing credit card preocessing
serives for small businesses. Like PayPal, it's a very useful service for
those who can't or dont' want to shell out the fees to do their own credit
card processing.

But there's no reason why the system *can't* be designed so that the credit
card statements show the company where you actually made your purchase
(maybe a joint entry: Digibuy/[companyname]). That it doesn't, that it
requires a follow up explanatory message, is a factor of the people involved
in the system design--at whatever level--being unwilling to design it to
provide information that would be useful to the user.

Chuck Martin