RE: My New tcolumn

Subject: RE: My New tcolumn
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:01:30 -0500

>In the case of OOo, it's really a no-brainer.
>Free software, free upgrade and free support
>should speak for themselves. The only possible
>costs are for a day's training, and even that
>can be dispensed with, since an MS Word user
>can find enough similarities to get up and
>running fairly quickly.

But it ISN'T a no-brainer. For an IT department to allow the
enterprise-wide deployment of a suite of applications, there is a
substantial infrastructure cost. It has to be integrated into the
environment, with all the issues such as program associations, security,
disaster recovery, incident knowlegebases, phone support, and too many
other elements to list here. There is a cost, and it better be more than
off-set by savings...real, live, qualifiyable / quantifiable savings.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation

New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com