RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn

Subject: RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:13:09 -0500

>There is a cost, and it better be more than
>off-set by savings...real, live, qualifiyable
>/ quantifiable savings.

...Macro translations and database connectivity.

Every two weeks, I go online and enter my time allocation in an Excel
spreadsheet. On save, the data is automatically pulled from the
spreadsheet and populated into an Access database that is used for cost
accounting for each product. This isn't insignificant data.

IT, HR, Accounting, and ProdMgmt are going to want to know that this
instance and every similar instance is going to behave exactly as
previously designed because it affects bottom line.

Speaking of Access...what alternative to Access do I have and what's
involved in implementing THAT into the infrastructure? Or are you saying
I only PARTIALLY make the break from MS to OpenOffice?

See what I mean...it's just too deep to say "the software is free".
Sure, all this can be done, but it's far from free.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com