RE: My New tcolumn

Subject: RE: My New tcolumn
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:25:39 -0800

Quoting John Posada <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>:

> But it ISN'T a no-brainer. For an IT department to allow the
> enterprise-wide deployment of a suite of applications, there is a
> substantial infrastructure cost. It has to be integrated into the
> environment, with all the issues such as program associations, security,
> disaster recovery, incident knowlegebases, phone support, and too many
> other elements to list here. There is a cost, and it better be more than
> off-set by savings...real, live, qualifiyable / quantifiable savings.

No argument from me on all these needs. I should have mentioned them.

However, you win here, too. One of the reason that people who are in charge of
infrastructure are so often those pushing for companies to use it is that
integration is much easier when you can see the code for yourself. Another is
that many of the resources you need are already available, so you don't have to
duplicate the work.

Obviously, any transition needs to be organized. That's elementary. But the
decision to make the transition - that's the no-brainer I was talking about.

Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com

RE: My New tcolumn: From: John Posada