Tool changeover validation processes and requirements

Subject: Tool changeover validation processes and requirements
From: geoff -at- userdox -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:10:15 +1100

Gotta say that I'm quite interested in this one as well. I've gone through the
whole analysis process, tool1 -vs- tool2 -vs- tool3 -vs- tool(n) analysis,
produced rough figures, received approval for more in-depth research, produced
detailed figures, created and costed change over plans, come up with a saving
higher than my original rough estimates, the team has a *very* high level of
buy-in, team leaders want the change, immediate manager wants to move away from
Word, and I still haven't been given the go ahead to implement.

I'm not moving to OOo (its not suitable for my circumstances), but the whole
process of validating a decision for management is what I'm looking for.

Cheers,

Geoff
btw: 15 members in the team

Quoting Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>:

> No problem, John. It's just that every time I've ever
> tried to pitch a tool change that will cost $ to upper
> management, at every company I've ever been at, one of
> the inevitable parts of the discussion was why I couldn't
> do the things I wanted to do with the tools I already
> had. It's amazing how much time people at director and
> VP levels will spend researching subjects they normally
> couldn't care less about (and in most cases, shouldn't)
> the moment they become potential budget line items. I'm
> really interested in how you managed to pull a tool change
> off without having to slog through all that tool vs. tool.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com