[Fwd: Re: Maybe it's all in my head. . . (Word Problems)]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Maybe it's all in my head. . . (Word Problems)]
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:40:12 -0400

I seem to be in the minority amongst Word users, but I have had precious
few problems (knock on laminate cubicle desk) using Word numbering. I
have two different types of outline numbered styles defined in the template.

The one time I did run into something that sounds somewhat like your
re-numbering problems was when I made an adjustment to the style
slightly and forgot to re-record my "restart #" button/macro. (The macro
was still associating the "Restart" activity with the previous (i.e.,
incorrect) numbered list style from the list gallery.)

The result was that each new #1 (from the second #1 and thereon out) was
becoming detached from the rest of the list and causing rather strange
things to happen. My lists looked something like this:

1. Item
2. Item
3. Item

<Intervening blah blah>

1. Item
4. Item
5. Item
6. Item

If this at all resembles what's happening to you, try re-applying your #
styles top to bottom and restart numbering the good old fashioned way
(i.e., Format>Bullets and Numbering).

As for repaginating -- Are your documents very large and/or loaded with
complicated table formatting and/or graphics? I only recall having a
similar experience once or twice at a previous job. In those cases, the
document I was working on was about 350 pages containing a very large
number of tables and several switches back and forth between landscape
and portrait. If that's your case, you may want to consider breaking up
your document into a few smaller portions. Also, although it's been a
while, I vaguely remember that working in Normal view instead of Print
Layout view helped quite a bit.

Pellar-Kosbar, Christine wrote:

Okay,
Before I take the plunge and recommend buying Frame and Snag-it (for me), and WebWorks Final Draft (for reviewers), I want to make sure my problems with Word are not just due to my ignorance. If you've used Word 2000 (version 9) for manuals, please let me know if you've ever had these problems:

Word repaginates unexpectedly, causing screenshots and text to appear in strange and frightening places

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com