RE: UK Conventions

Subject: RE: UK Conventions
From: "Anthony Kelly" <alkelly71 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:21:46 +0000

"So British sounds like the silent R's after E's and A's (Robber,
Darling, Barter = Robba, Dahling, Bahta) and the R sound after a final A
are echoes of that Germanic linguistic heritage. In modern German, you
hear the same phenomenon with these same sound combinations (Bier [Beer]
= Beeah, Martin = Mahtin)."

Yet this use of "ar" is mainly found in the South and midlands, in the North we say "Bath" not "Barth" (as they do in the South). In the North we use many old Anglo-saxon and Viking words, more so than the South I would think, so I'm not entirely convinced by the German argument. After all, the language has evolved a lot since then (primarily by the French).

The "ar" sound also seems to be used by the middle-classes an upper classes (in so-called RP), which adds a different factor to it.

Anthony

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com